Monday, October 15, 2012

Rain Delay ???

NO!  I wasn't sure what I would see when I pulled up to the hole tonight since we got so much rain on Saturday, but was very pleasantly surprised.  All of the dirt has been pushed in around the basement walls, the curb has been cut away, the toilet drains were installed, and I have basement and garage floors!!  I'm not sure if this happened Friday, Saturday, or today.  I'm guessing today because I was able to walk completely around the house without getting in the mud.  It felt like dry dirt that had been packed down.  It was still very muddy and wet in the driveway where they didn't work.  Also, there was no water standing in the basement and the concrete looked damp, but when I touched it, seemed fairly solid.  Lines are already cut in the garage floor as well.  Very exciting!

On a separate topic, I stopped by Home Depot tonight and think I've found the mirrors that will be going into the bathrooms.  I wasn't too crazy about the selection from the place where I was supposed to get them, so requested an allowance and am getting those myself.  They're actually cheaper and I like them better, so that's good news.  I'm also doing the same thing with all of the cabinet hardware.  $2000 for large stainless steel pull handles seemed a little excessive to me.  I found similar hardware that is much cheaper at Lowe's than getting it from the cabinet place so I'll be installing that myself too... but that means I've got to drill the holes in all 60 cabinets and drawers myself too.  I'm surely capable of that though with a template.  My only struggle left is the towel rods and toilet paper holders.  Now, one may not think it is possible to spend countless hours shopping for these, but they would be wrong.  My first attempt at just picking out whatever I wanted, landed me $500 over budget, which just seems unnecessary.  However, if you despise changing the toilet paper roll as much as I do with one of those spring-loaded rods, you do consider it for a second.  The new toilet paper holders that have a rotating rod are SO cool, just cost more.  Combine that with trying to find something in an oil rubbed bronze finish to match the rest of the fixtures, makes them even more expensive, and usually uglier... I guess it's time for a cost/benefit analysis.

I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow.  I'm guessing nothing with the house but would be surprised if I don't see a load of lumber delivered... stay tuned!



Curb cut away.

Dirt pushed around walls.

BIG garage floor!


Where garage/pool bathroom will be.


2 comments:

  1. What are those tubes protruding from the basement?!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are either water lines or an elaborate system of underground vacuum tubes allowing to send important documents from one part of the house to another... but probably just water lines.

    ReplyDelete